Published on April 22nd, 2015 | by editor0
Wright College: Sustainable on Earth Day and Every Day!
In recognition of Earth Day, we’re celebrating some of the many ways Wright College works to support a sustainable environment on campus and promote environmental education all year long.
Did you know?? …
- Wright College offers a variety of environmental education programs, including an AAS Degree and Basic Certificate in Environmental Technology, a Building Energy Technologies certificate program and Urban Agro-ecology classes.
- Wright College has been awarded the distinction of “Tree Campus USA” for the past five years by the Arbor Day Foundation.
- Wright’s campus features 589 trees, with 40 species represented, including the Chinkapin Oak and Blue Beech, planted on Earth Day 2015!
- Wright’s Student Environmental Club has been hosting Earth Day events for the past 15 years!
- Wright College hosted a fueling stop during the June 2014 statewide Electric Vehicle Road Trip.
- Wright’s sustainability initiatives were featured in the Spring 2014 issue of Chicagoland Buildings and Environments magazine.
- Wright College also features:
- A free electric vehicle charging station
- A photovoltaic array (solar panels) on the parking garage
- An apiary (beehives) that produces honey
- A green roof and solar water heating system on the roof of the Science Building
- 7 “Hydration Stations” throughout campus to discourage plastic water bottle waste (more than 200,000 bottles saved)
- A community garden.
For more information about Wright’s environmental education programs or initiatives, please contact Dave Inman, Director of the Environmental Technology program.